Monday, August 19, 2013

Minestrone Soup- My version

I love soups when the weather starts growing more fallish. This is a favorite soup if you want to use some garden produce as I did today. This is a bit different from the minestrone soup you might know, but this is how I made it today and we enjoyed it with some fresh bread I made as well. YUM!

Ingredients:

1 quart/liter or more beef broth ( I made my own using some beef). 
1 1/2 teaspoons
1 can white beans- drained.
1/2 cup chopped salt pork (speķis) or bacon
2 onions- finely chopped.
1 teaspoon dried thyme
4 tomatoes- peeled and coarsely chopped
2-3 carrots, diced.
2 cups chopped zucchini
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 tablespoons fresh parsley- chopped
Parmesan cheese for garnish

Optional: (Ingredients in the recipe which I didn't use)
3 stalks celery chopped
2 cups chopped cabbage
4 Swiss chard leaves.

Method:
  • Prepare broth. 
  • Cook up bacon so that the pieces become clear. Add chopped onions and cook. 
  • Add to broth, add carrots and boil until they are soft. 
  • Add all ingredients except for tomatoes- add those when the zucchini is soft. 
  • Allow to boil until tomatoes are soft and squishy. Turn off and allow to cool slightly. 
  • Serve, garnish with grated Parmesan cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment