From the Fannie Farmer cookbook. A nice simple wheat bread.
1 cup warm water.
1 cup warm milk
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon dry yeast
2 cups whole wheat flour
4 cups white flour- apx.
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk and water. Add sugar and salt, stirring to dissolve.
- Stir in enough flour until dough is stiff enough to knead.
- Knead a few minutes. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Kneading, add enough flour so that dough is not sticky.
- Knead about 10 more minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl and let rise until double.
- Divide dough into two loaves, place in greased bread pans.
- Let rise until double.
- Bake about 45 minutes in 375 degree F. oven. Or 180 degree C.
- Remove from pans and let cool.