Friday, March 29, 2013

Coffee Mousse

This recipe is taken from a very old cookbook that belonged to my Mother- in -law. the book is called "Majturiba". The original recipe is very small and says to use 1/5 of an egg, which I have never seen in any other cookbook. I did the original recipe x5, which is the proportions I will share with you today.

At Lido, the most popular cafeteria style restaurant in Latvia, with tons of traditional Latvian food choices this is a dessert we enjoy. It is served in a pretty dessert cup, with a red currant ķiselis (something like thickened juice) poured in the bottom and a square of this on top. Yum!



Ingredients:

250 g. cream
100 g. milk or cream ( today I used all cream because I didn't have any milk)
1 egg
75 g. sugar
10-20 g. coffee
10 g. gelatin.
Vanilla ( today I used a vanilla been scraped out)

Method: (May not be correct, but it is the way I did it and it worked. Hope if works for you, can see other recipes on the Internet for other directions)

  1. Dissolve gelatin in a bit of water, or milk. 
  2. If you use instant coffee you can add it later, but if you need to brew your coffee as we do here I made a very strong potion with about 1/2 cup of boiling water poured over the coffee grounds.  Let brew.
  3. Mix well and cook over double broiler egg and sugar, stirring constantly. It should become thick. Add vanilla and stir.
  4. I typically put my cup with the absorbed gelatin and milk or water into a water bath over low heat until it liquefies. Then stir this into the egg mixture. 
  5. Add instant coffee or espresso to egg mixture, discarding of grounds. LET COOL. 
  6. Whip cream until thickened and slowly pour in coffee mixture, continuing to whip until a nice thickened consistency.
  7. Pour into bowl, dessert glasses, or pan if you desire to serve it as I mentioned above. I put mine in a small rectangular glass pan. 
  8. Refrigerate until set. 
  9. Serve with ķiselis or pureed strawberries ( as we will eat it this evening).or just enjoy it plain

No comments:

Post a Comment