Any lover of eclairs will be ecstasy over a homemade one. Today these are filled with cream filling, they can also be filled with sweetened whipped cream. The recipe may seen complicated, because it is long and has 3 parts to it. But it is really very simple and very worth the effort!
Cream Puff Dough: (Makes apx. 10, 2 inch cream puffs. I double or triple this recipe for a group)
1/2 cup water
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
- Oil, butter or prepare cookie sheet with baking paper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C.
- Bring water and butter to boil.
- Remove from heat and rapidly stir in flour so that it forms ball.
- Add eggs one at a time, stirring well between eggs.
- To make traditional eclair shapes, place dough in pastry tube and squeeze onto prepared cookie sheet. Or drop by rounded spoonfuls on cookie sheet.
- Bake apx. 20 -30 min. until golden.
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
4 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
- Use 1 cup sugar, rather than 1/2 cup. Melt 55 g. dark chocolate with milk. Then add eggs- stirring vigorously, and flour. Omit vanilla.
- Stir all ingredients , except vanilla together well in saucepan.
- Cook over low-medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and beings to boil.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Cool to room temperature.
85 g. semi sweet or dark chocolate
2 tablespoons butter
- Melt over double boiler until smooth.
- When cream puffs are cooled, and filling also then you may start assembly.
- Gently cut off top of cream puff, so as to make a lid.
- Remove any "extra" of the insides that would keep their from being room to fill.
- Add the filling and replace top.
- Frost with chocolate frosting.